If you want to save and share your essential file on Google Docs, you might want to protect it by adding a password and wonder, “how to password protect a Google Doc?” Google Docs offers excellent capabilities for creating, editing, and sharing content with your team. Also, Google Docs can store and share important documents, so it might be good to add a password. But how can you do that?
Launch Microsoft Office to view the document. Choose “Protect Documents” from the “File” menu. After that, choose the “Encrypt with Password” option. Hit the apply button after entering your password. Congratulations, your document is now password protected. Now, you can upload this document on Google Docs, and it will require a password to access.
Methods to Password Protect a Google Doc
Following are the prime methods to add a password to a Google Doc.
Method 1: Through Microsoft Office
Follow the given steps to create a password for a Google Doc within Microsoft Office.
- Open the document using Microsoft Office.
- From the “File” menu, select the option “Protect Documents.”
- You will then be able to select the option of “Encrypt with Password.”
- Now you need to apply a password. After you’ve entered your password, press the apply button.
- You now have a password-protected document.
- You can now upload this document to Google Docs, and you will need a password to access it.
Method 2: Using DocSecrets
If you’d like to add custom features to Google Docs, you can use Add-ons. DocSecrets is one of them. With this tool, you can encrypt the information contained in your documents.
When you encrypt information, you and others with the password are the only ones who can access it. Unlike conventional redacted documents, highlighted segments in different colors indicate hidden information on the DocSecrets. Follow the steps to do so.
- Open the document you wish to encrypt in Google Docs
- Choose Add-ons from the drop-down list.
- Go to the next page from Add-ons drop-down list and search for DocSecrets.
- Select the installation option.
- Now you need to choose the Google account with which you need to encrypt the files.
- Click on the Allow button.
- By going to Add-ons, then clicking on DocSecrets, you will be able to open it.
- Insert your hidden information above the insert section. You will soon have your information encrypted. After that, you’ll need a password to protect your information.
- If you or someone else has the password, your sensitive information will appear in a highlight.
A modern working environment requires the use of tools like Google Docs. This tool enables remote collaboration and project tracking, regardless of location.
There is always the possibility of bad things happening when the wrong person has access to your Google Doc. Therefore, creating a password for it is an essential part of security.
Using the password can increase the protection without exposing your company to more cyber threats.