Learning how to measure distance on your iPhone is easy. And it’s super handy when you’re looking to find out the distance between two objects or points.
An iPhone is equipped with a “Measure” app linked to your camera. When using this app, you can choose from multiple units of measurement, such as miles, feet, yards, and meters. The app turns your iPhone into a tape measure. Simply point your camera at something, and it will measure the real-world distance to that object.
This article will cover all the necessary details about how to measure distance on iPhone using this “Measure” app.
The Benefits of Measuring Distance On iPhone
Measuring distance is something we do more often than we probably realize in our daily lives. Most people whip out a tape or laser distance measure when they want to measure something.
- You can measure the distance between two points when you don’t have access to any other measurement device.
- The final measurement might not be to the nano-millimeter, but the it is relatively accurate, making this a very helpful tool.
- It’s convenient and easy to use. No special skill, experience, or training is required to use this app.
- Because it’s a default iPhone app, if your phone is with you, so is your measuring tool. There is no need for any extra accessories or equipment when measuring things around your home or office.
How to Measure Distance On iPhone
As mentioned, it’s straightforward to use the “Measure” app, and it works by using the camera on your phone.
You’ll receive a prompt through the app asking you to aim your camera at the two objects or points in front of you. It will then tell you how far they are from each other and give you the option to save this measurement as a preset so that you can use it again later.
Here are the step-by-step instructions to measure distance on your iPhone:
- The first step is to launch “Measure” from your home screen or app list. If you’ve never used the app before, you may find it stored under “Utilities” with your Calculator and Compass.
- Open the app and select “Camera Mode” if the app doesn’t automatically have access to your camera.
- Point your phone at an object, displaying it on your screen. A small white dot surrounded by a white circle will pop-up when your phone detects an object.
- Tap on the large plus sign (“+”) in the middle at the bottom of the screen. This will select the object.
- Then, move your phone to point it at the second object and select it by tapping on the plus sign again.
- You’ll then see a white line connecting the two objects on your screen, displaying a measurement. This is the distance from object one to object two.
Overall, the “Measure” app is a handy tool for measuring distance. It may not be as accurate as other devices designed for the same purpose, but it works great for quick estimates. The app will likely never replace the hardware measurement tools of the world. But in a pinch, this app can definitely come in handy.