You have an Apple Watch, but the built-in Walkie Talkie app isn’t working correctly. Maybe you’re having trouble connecting to other people, or the other person isn’t hearing you.
To troubleshoot the walkie-talkie not working on Apple Watch, you need to check if iTunes and FaceTime servers are up and running. Then update your watchOS software. Ensure that both your watchOS device and iPhone are running the latest version of their respective OS versions. Finally, restart them both.
But there’s not just that issue. Read more to define problems and fix them correctly.
What is Walkie Talkie on Apple Watch?
The Walkie-Talkie app on Apple Watch lets you send messages to other Apple Watch owners nearby. Only they can see and receive messages from them. You can also use the built-in microphone to make voice calls to other Apple Watch wearers.
How to Use Walkie Talkie on Apple Watch
You’ll need to pair your Apple Watch with your iPhone to use the Walkie-Talkie app. You can do this either by launching the Walkie-Talkie app on your iPhone and following the instructions in the app or by going to Settings on your iPhone, selecting Apple Watch and then selecting Bluetooth. You’ll need to select your Apple Watch model and ensure that Walkie Talkie is enabled. Now you can start chatting with other Apple Watch owners nearby!
You simply raise your wrist and say what you want to send a message. For example, you might say, “Hey, how’s it going?” Then, your friend nearby will see your wrist raise and receive your message.
What’s the range of the Walkie-Talkie app on the Apple Watch?
You can use the Walkie-Talkie app on Apple Watch to make voice and group messaging within a 50-meter range, about the same range as a standard Bluetooth speaker.
If you want to send a message further away, you can choose the “v” option while in the Messages mode on your Apple Watch.
Note that the range is subject to interference from walls and other objects, so don’t expect to send messages through sheetrock or concrete.
Troubleshooting Apple Watch Walkie-Talkie Not Working
Here are some troubleshooting steps that might help fix Apple Watch Walkie-Talkie problems you’re experiencing:
Let’s make sure Apple’s Walkie Talkie and FaceTime servers run before something goes wrong. Problems with these services can lead to problems, so here is how you can check:
- Open a web browser on your iOS, iPadOS, or macOS device.
- Visit the Apple Support System Status page.
- Locate the Walkie Talkies service (on this site) and FaceTime! If it is green, that means they’re up and running; if there was an issue on your end, then please try our tips below to fix it. Alternatively, suppose it says red for both of them. In that case, it’s down/offline, which means that some server error has disrupted its functionality – just wait until Apple gets round to fixing things once again!
Update your watch and phone. Ensure that both your Apple Watch and iPhone are running the latest version of watchOS. This can be done wirelessly: Tap Settings > General > Software Update to check for updates on your device.
You can also update a watch directly through its settings: Select General then Software Update in Settings. You will find two ways of updating-using an updated iPhone and tapping this same option in settings directly from within the current Watch app itself.
For Walkie-Talkie to work, FaceTime needs to be installed on both your iPhone and the phone of the person you are communicating with. Make sure that:
- FaceTime is turned on in Settings > FaceTime > On-device
- You have an Apple ID and input it correctly in Settings->Facetime -> Apple ID
- Your email address is selected under the “you can be reached by me at” section of settings->face time -> Email Yourself (in case there’s a mistake)
- You’ll want to make sure that FaceTime works properly with these steps. If something doesn’t seem right, try sending or receiving another invitation via the Walkie-Talkies app before trying something else again.
Your watch and iPhone need to be restarted. Here’s how:
- Restart your iPhone by pressing the side or top button until the power off slider appears. Then drag the slider, wait 1 minute, and press and hold down either of these buttons again until you see an Apple logo.
- Reset your watch by pressing in on its side button till you get a display with 2 lines of text that look like this “slide to power off.” Drag them both away from each other so they scroll out of sight, at which point it turns itself off for about 5 seconds before turning back on (the time will change).
Apple releases new features frequently, and there are always bugs in their apps that make the app not function properly. Usually, they release a subsequent update to fix these problems. You can always contact Apple Support. They’ll be able to help troubleshoot the problem and fix it or find you a workaround.